Cite as "AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 05062961 (posted Jun. 29, 2005)"

Following is the content of a June 28, 2005 email to AILA member Sara Levin from the State Department's Legalnet:

Requirements for H-1B1: Effective January 1, 2004, nationals of Chile or Singapore may apply at consular sections around the world for a nonimmigrant professional H-1B1 visa. To qualify, professions must meet the definition of "specialty occupation" set forth in the respective FTA or submit proof of alternative credentials as set forth in the respective FTA. The applicant must also submit a job offer letter from the employer, proof of labor attestation (certified ETA 9035 or 9035E), proof of payment of any special fee, if applicable and pay the MRV fee. [Currently no special fee is required]. [Note: Aliens already in the United States as nonimmigrants may apply to DHS for a change of nonimmigrant status to H-1B1 pursuant to INA 248. Such an alien who departs the United States would need an H-1B1 visa to seek readmission as an H-1B1.