Who is Eligible?
How to Apply
Duration of Visa
Status of Spouse and Minor Children

The O nonimmigrant visa category applies to aliens of extraordinary ability in the arts, athletics, sciences, education, business, or the motion picture or television industry who are coming to the United States to perform temporary services relating to an event or events. It is also available to accompanying aliens who are coming to assist in the artistic or athletic performance of an alien of extraordinary ability.

Who is Eligible?

A foreign national who has extraordinary ability in the arts, athletics, sciences, education, or business, and is coming to the United States temporarily to perform services for a U.S. employer in his/her area of expertise may be granted an O-1 visa. "extraordinary ability" means that the alien has reached a level of expertise indicating that he/she is one of a small percentage who have risen to the very top of his/her field of endeavor. Also, the position the alien is coming to fill must require the services of an individual of extraordinary ability.

The "arts" may also include aliens in the motion picture or television industry. To qualify for an O-1 visa, individuals in this industry are held to a slightly different standard that others applying for an O-1 visa. They must document "extraordinary achievement" through a demonstrated record of "distinction" or prominent. "distinction" means a high level of achievement and skill substantially above that ordinarily encountered to the extent that the alien described as prominent is renowned, leading, or well-known in the field.

Back to Top

How To Apply

An employer may file a petition with the INS Regional Service Center having jurisdiction over the where the job will be performed. If the job requires the alien to work in different locations, then the petition must be filed with the INS Service Center that has jurisdiction in the area where the petitioner is located. If a foreign employer working through a U.S. agent files on behalf of the alien, the petition must be filed with the Service Center that has jurisdictions in the area where the alien will first work. If the alien's employment terminates for other than voluntary resignation, the employer and the petitioner are jointly responsible for the reasonable cost of return transportation of the alien to his/her last place of residence prior to his/her entry into the United States.

The petition must establish that the alien is an individual with extraordinary ability and that the position requires the services of an individual with extraordinary ability. To demonstrate the latter, the position must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. The position or services to be performed must involve an event or activity which has a distinguished reputation, or is a comparable newly organized event, production or activity; or
  2. The services to be performed must be in a lead, starring, or critical role in an activity for an organization or establishment that has distinguished reputation, or record of employing extraordinary persons; or
  3. The services primarily involve a specific scientific or educational; project, conference, convention, lecture or exhibit sponsored by bone fide scientific or educational organization or establishment; or
  4. The services consist of a specific business project that is appropriate for an extraordinary executive, manager, or highly technical person due to the complexity of the business project.

To establish that the alien has extraordinary ability in his/her field, the petition must be filed with documentation that demonstrates sustained national or international acclaim and recognition, or receipt of a major internationally-recognized award, such as a Nobel Peace Prize. The alien may also qualify as an individual of extraordinary ability by submitting at least three (3) of the following forms of documentation:

a.) Documentation of the receipt of nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in the field of endeavor;
b.) Documentation of membership in associations in the field which require outstanding achievements as judged by recognized international experts;
c.) Published material in professional or trade publications or newsletters about the alien and his work in the field;
d.) Evidence that the alien has participated on a panel, or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the field or an allied field;
e.) Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions of major significance in the field;
f.) Evidence of authorship of scholarly articles in the field in professional journals or other major media; or
g.) Evidence the alien commands a high salary or other high remuneration for services.

To qualify as an alien of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry, or an alien of extraordinary ability in the filed of arts, the alien must be recognized as having a record of extraordinary achievement as demonstrated by the following:

a.) Evidence that the alien has been nominated for or the recipient of significant national or international awards or prizes in the particular field such as an Academy Award, an Emmy, a Grammy, or a Director's Guild Award; or
b.) At least three of the following forms of documentation:
  1. Evidence that the alien has performed or will perform services as a lead or starring participant in productions or events which have a distinguished reputation as evidences by critical reviews, advertisements, publicity release, publications, contracts, or endorsements;
  2. Evidence that the alien has achieved national or international recognition for achievements evidenced by critical reviews or other published materials by or about the individual in major newspaper, trade journals, magazines, or other publications;
  3. Evidence that the alien has performed in a lead, starring, or critical role for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation evidenced by articles in newspapers, trade journals, publication, or testimonials;
  4. Evidence that the alien has a record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes as evidenced by such indicators as title, rating, standing in the field, box office receipts, credit for original research or product development, motion picture or television ratings, and other occupational achievements reported in trade journals, major newspapers, or other publications;
  5. Evidence that the alien has received significant recognition for achievements from organizations, critics, government agencies, or other recognized experts in the field in which the alien is engaged. Such testimonials must be in a form which clearly indicated that author's authority, expertise, and knowledge of the alien's achievement; or
  6. Evidence that the alien has commanded or now commands a high salary or other substantial remuneration for services in relation to others in the field, as evidence by contracts or other reliable evidence.

Before the INS can approve an "o-1" visa petition, a written advisory opinion from an appropriate peer group, labor and/or management organization regarding the nature of the work to be done by the alien, and the alien's qualifications must be obtained. To facilitate INS's adjudication, the petitioner should obtain the written advisory opinion, and submit it to INS with the petition. The advisory opinion should set forth a statement of facts which supports the conclusion reached in the advisory opinion. It must be signed by an authorized official of the group or organization. In the case of an alien who will be employed in the fields of arts, entertainment, or athletics where the INS determines that the petition merits expeditious handling, the INS may obtain the advisory opinion telephonically.

Back to Top

Duration of Visa

An O-1 visa may be valid for the period necessary to accomplish the event or activity, but must not exceed three years.

Back to Top

Status of Spouse and Minor Children

A spouse and unmarried minor children of an alien who holds an O-1 visa are eligible for O-3 visas. They may not accept employment while in the United States while on an O-3 visa.

Back to Top